beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in Kerala. Here rest the
brave nationalist and political leaders like Swadeshabhimani K.
Ramakrishna pilla, A.K.G. and Chadayan Govindan. This is two kms away
from Kannur town and near the St. Angelos Fort. This beach, having
laterite rock jutting out into the sea on one end, is a neat and long
one which is a relief to the tourists who seek rest away from the modern
As part of
a targeted comprehensive tourism development, this natural beauty spot
is fast changing into a tourist center of international standard. It is
the famous sculptor and the State Tourism Advisory Committee member,
Shri Kanai KunjiRaman who is imaginatively beautifying Payyambalam. In
the park attached to the beach, he is preparing a beautiful piece of
sculpture, ď a mother with a child lying facing the seaĒ. this
structure has a 80 feet length and 15 feet height. The landscaping of
the park is over. The construction of other pieces of art is also going
on. The models of folk arts of Malabar including Theyyam are being
A park for
the children also is being arranged here. The aim is to make
arrangements to attract children for amusement and exercise. The
Payyambalam canal will be widened and deepened without delay for the
pleasure boating of the children. A footpath has been brick-laid between
the guesthouse and the lighthouse from where sunset can be enjoyed and
the beauty of Dharmadom Island towards the south and the headquarters of
Ezhimala Navel Academy towards the north can be seen.
facilities necessary for the tourists and other visitors will be
Fort St. Angelo
sea, this is one of the most attractive centers in Kannur district in
is also known as Kannur Fort. This fort is 3 kms away from Kannur town
in the western direction. The fort stands close by the Arabian Sea. This
fort proclaims the strength and beauty of Portuguese architecture. The
two sides of the fort facing the sea was built in a triangular shape. It
was Don Francisco De Almeida, the first Portuguese Viceroy, who laid the
foundation stone of this fort with the permission of Kolathiris in 23
captured the fort in 1663 and sold it to the Ali Raja of Kannur in 1772
and in 1790-it came into the possession of the British. This fort is now
under the control of Archaeological Survey of India.
Arabian Sea, the dense coconut trees, the fishing boats and natural
harbor moppila bay are the unforgettable sights, one can have from this
fort. Arakkal kettu of historical importance can also be seen from this
fort. Different projects are being implemented at the government level
to preserve the fort in a good condition. Projects envisage to beautify
the fort retaining its antiguity and providing parking area.
It has a
length of 4.5 kms. The special feature of this beach is that the
vehicles can be driven without getting stuck into the sea sand. This is
why the beach is considered to be the only drive in beach in the State.
This beach which extends from Muzhuppilangad to Moithu Bridge is
considered as swimmersí paradise since there are no waves in this part
due to the rocks here and there and the sea is not deep. This beach is
15 kms away from Kannur in the south direction and 8 kms away from
Thalassery in the north direction. A tourist can reach this beach
through five panchayat roads starting from the National Highway. The
transportation to this beach will be improved as the coastal road is
completed. In order to turn this beach into a drive in beach and arrange
water sport facilities through exploiting to the maximum the natural
specialties there, the District Tourism Promotion Council has chalked
out projects and they are being implemented. Childrenís park and huts
to enjoy the natural beauty of Dharmadam Isle have been constructed.
Steps have been taken to identify the safe places for sea bath and
illuminations. Facilities like cafeteria and toilet will be provided.
Island which is situated in the sea like a green spot just 100 m away
from shore, becomes a blissful experience to tourists. This isle is full
of coconut trees. There is only a well here as the symbol of human
presence. One can reach this place by boat from southern part of Moithu
bridge in the national highway. During ebb time one can reach here by
foot. From this isle one can see the rocks around and the beauty of
Muzhuppilangad beach and the distant beauty of Thalassery town. When
Dharmadam isle was an important trading center, this isle was in the
possession of Chirakkal king. Later it passed into the hands of the
English and now it is in the hands of private individuals.
have taken steps to acquire this isle from private individuals with the
intention of making this isle an important tourist center.
which had witnessed many ebbs and tides of history is of much importance
to tourists who are interested in historical events.
is situated in the Thiruvallippad hill of Thalassery town, 20 kms away
from Kannur in the south direction. It was constructed by the British
East India Company in the year 1708. this fort has to tell many stories
of the victory and defeat of Kalathiri, Tippu Sultan and Pazhassi Raja.
is built of red bricks in an area of two acres. The British used this
frt as a jail and currency manufactory. It was here that the leader of
the Hyder Aliís army was imprisoned and the death bed of Swathi
Thirunalís successor was arranged. Thalassery silver coins were also
minted here. St. Johnís Church is nearby this fort. Here rests Edward
Brennen who contributed significantly to the cultural and educational
fields of Thalassery. As such this place has assumed the prominence of a
is a famous temple in south India. It is situated 20 kms away from
Kannur. It is famous for its natural beauty. Boating facilities are
available for tourists.
site is 11 kms away from the birth place of Pazhassi Raja and 37 kms
away from Kannur. The dam site is across the Kuyilurpuzha. It is a very
beautiful spot. Boating facilities are arranged to attract tourists.
It is 44
kms away from Thaliparampu and 4500 feet above the sea leve. These huge
mountains lay spread over 500 acres of land. This is a dense forest
area. One can go by bus upto Pottanplavu. From there jeep can be driven
for six kms. After that, 2 km walk by foot. North of Paithalmala is
Kudaku forest. At the base of the mountain, a tourist information center
and dormitory have been constructed.
The Residence of the Gundert
Gundert Bungalow is situate at Illikkunnu, 2 kms away from Thalassery
near the National Highway. It was here that Gundert, the German
missionary and the plyglot resided for 20 years from 1839. he made
invaluable contributions to the Malayalam language.